Rory's year in Review

Tuesday, January 3, 2012


So, I am not one of those people who normally does a year in review...but we have had such an incredible year with Rory it is hard not to!

In January we started Little Gym, we mainly started it because we were looking at helping Rory with her balance and was hoping that this would help.  We had a trial class and knew it was for us.  Rory took to it immediately- and she became fearless.  Although expensive, the Little Gym has been an investment well worth it.  Rory has become so strong and I really think that the Little Gym has helped with that.  She went from not being able to sit up, to running!

I was having issues myself with not having any friends here, we moved here when I was 5 months pregnant and Jon had to leave for his job for almost 2 months.  At that time we still had no idea what was going on with Rory's leg, the doctors just told us "things it could be," (like brittle bone syndrome) and I spent most of my time looking up journal articles about the different possibilities.  After I had Rory I was so afraid to take her places (I was very afraid of driving with her), so I didn't meet anyone then.  

Jon told me around Christmas last year that I really needed to be social, and the Little Gym helped.  I met some great friends there, Rory made some great friends there, and it helped me get over my driving phobia, which led me to do other things with Rory, like Library Story time.  Story time also helped me meet new people, and now I have wonderful friends here.

Rory took her first airplane ride to St. Louis and met her great grandparents, aunts, cousin, and friends.  She since has become a jet setter and took at total of 12 flights (many were connecting flights, but still...).

In May we met a wonderful man who is going to change all of our lives, Dr. Dror Paley.  He is a limb lengthening doctor who practices in West Palm Beach.  He was just as wonderful as we had thought!  He was so personable and knowledgeable and we knew we were at the right place.  He informed us of what we have to do to get Rory's leg to be equal length of the other leg, and I have no doubts in my mind about the care he will be providing for her.

Rory also got her first pair of shoes!  In my previous life (before Rory) I was a shoe fanatic and would buy heels (the taller the better) frequently and often!   I was so excited to get some shoes for Rory; however her shoes are different, because of the lift.  I remember the first time I saw the lift, tears swelled up in my eyes and I had no idea how she was going to walk in these.  The thought of getting a new lift every few months has given me many sleepless nights.

The first time she walked in her shoes was hard on both of us, her ankles were rolling and she was fussing, which in turn made me upset.  Once she got used to the shoes, she began to walk like a champ.  She started walking so much that she wore out her first pair of shoes!   Her lift went from 3.5 cm to 5 cm and she doesn't let them hold her back!

Rory turned 1 and we had a fabulous "Pigeon" party!   The Pigeon books are her favorite and everything was Pigeon, from the cake to the decorations- everything, and I think Rory had a wonderful time.  Although first birthday parties are mainly for the parents, I think Rory enjoyed it too!

Rory has changed so much, and so have I.  We have bonded so much this past year.  We have our routine- and love it.  Rory and I are two peas in a pod and I could not be happier being her mom. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful family.  Some of the best moments I have had have been just watching Jon and Rory rough house on the floor.  It has been the best year I have ever had, and I can't wait for 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Simplistic Chic - a blogger template | ©2011 Dualillusions.com